There are a lot of reasons to tell why many people buy dried rose petals in Australia. That’s because this ingredient mixed with Persian dishes is undeniably the best. But before going to the highlight, let’s do some quick historical digging about rose petals.
Although rose plants are assumed to have originated in Asia and were first domesticated by the Chinese 5,000 years ago, rose petals were commonly used in Ancient Egypt. The petals were also well-known in Rome and Greece, where aristocratic Romans used the oil extracted as both a medicinal item and a perfume. Wedding couples even wore crowns as wedding decorations and the Romans used them as ornaments. The Romans also believed that putting rose petals in wine can prevent alcohol intoxication.
Profiling the Flavour of Rose Petals
The kind of rose plant that makes the petals has an impact on the flavour. They may be sweet or acidic, as it resembles citrus fruit or can have a flowery flavor. In many cases, they are even spicy. The trait that makes them most helpful for cooking is that they are frequently very aromatic.
Rose Petals Even Have Health Benefits
The flavour and aesthetic appeal of rose petals are actually matched by their nutritional value. You can definitely enhance the quantity of nutrients by adding them to your dishes.
- Antioxidants: Myrcene and quercetin are two significant antioxidants known to be present in rose petals. They have vitamin C, which among its many health advantages cites antioxidant qualities.
- Minerals: Rose petals contain a number of minerals, including calcium and potassium.
- Vitamins: Rose petals contain a variety of vitamins, and it’s not just vitamin C. Along with several B vitamins, like vitamin B3, they also contain vitamins A, D, and E!
With its proven health benefits, rose petals have been known to treat or prevent various ailments such as:
- Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practitioners have been known to recommend rose petals to treat heavy periods and mild to severe menstrual pain by making rose petal tea or combining rose petal tea with black tea.
- Infections: The immune system can benefit from the vitamin C that rose petals contain. As many of us know, you can avoid contracting many infectious diseases if your immune system is functioning properly.
- Respiratory Illnesses: In addition to preventing infections that could lead to respiratory problems, rose petals are also recommended in TCM as a treatment for bronchitis and to loosen phlegm.
The fact that meals mixed with rose petals are so delicious and at the same time, these ingredients have a lot of health benefits, definitely make them the best Persian cuisine. If you want to know more how to use rose petals, you can visit here.